Last weekend saw the successful launch of the first workshops at the YarnPony dye-studio. It was great to try out the schedule I had created for the day and see what great colours were produced.
It was also an important exercise for me from a practical point of view. Would participants find my studio? How did they rate the facilities? Was the workshop what they expected? I took away some great and useful feedback to make the next workshops even better!
So, what did we do?
Starting with an overview of what I had planned for the day, we then got down to the experiments.
When I started dyeing, I often got frustrated with my inability to recreate some of the colours I had found in my tests. This was all down to the lack of recording, which I soon changed after not being able to reproduce that perfect red I had just found! So my visitors could replicate the colour they would create in the morning, I provided recording sheets for them
After carrying out a whole range of experiments the favourite new colours were picked and we dyed some mini skeins of yarn to see how the colours would come out. More often than not, the colour looks very different in a mixing glass in comparison to the end-result heat-fixed on the yarn.
Now it was decision time. We reviewed the dyed mini-skeins and decided our favourite colours and mixed the dye stock for this
The we prepared the yarn and stock-pot
And after this I got so excited that I forgot to take pictures! A great vintage purple and a lovely deep green were produced. I hope to get a picture from the participants to include it here.
I’m now planning the next workshops for January. If you would like to come to the studio for a workshop day, then please drop me a line on the following email address: YARNPONY at HOTMAIL dot COM.